CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Whoops...

I was recently co-in-charge-of a 2-day camp for this lovely bunch of young ladies...
Getting ready the second morning, my eye allergies were bugging me, so I stuck my glasses, contact case and 2 things of eye drops in my favorite pair of orange sneakers (I was also worried my feet would hurt by the end of the day, so I was bringing back-up footwear...).  I have a million (almost literally) other things I'm grabbing and lugging out to my car.  I stick my shoes on the hood of the suburban and load up the back with the big stuff.  And off I go.  I'm driving along, thinking about the day ahead, when I suddenly hit something.  Weird.  I didn't see anything.  So I look in my rear-view mirror and see  some shoes.  Huh.  It's not usual to see two shoes together in the street.  That's weird... I thought.  And continued on my way... Once I arrived at the church, I couldn't find my shoes.  That's weird.  I'm sure I stuck them in the car...  guess not...  If I need my glasses later, I can always get Tom to bring them..... Wait....  Did I put them on the HOOD of my car?  Pretty sure I did.  What?  Did I leave them there?  Oh man....  Guess I'd better call Tom and have him grab them from the driveway... So I call Tom and have him (wake-up) and check the driveway.  No glasses.  "Honey, they have to be close, just drive up the street..." I told him.  Then hung up.  Then remember the TWO shoes I'd seen in my rearview mirror... 2 miles from home.  That I'd run over...  That's a fun call to make and try to explain... "Yes dear,  I know....  Yes, the hood...  No, I don't know how I didn't see them.... Would you go look for them please?  Yes, I know I have the suburban and you have the girls...  No, no, I'm sure you'll all (5) fit in the Camaro...  ok...  Love ya, babe... thanks..."  It is one of my finer moments...  So Tom and the girls all crammed in and drove out to Sunrise Blvd (a pretty busy street).  And FOUND MY GLASSES.  Any my contact case.  And both eyedrops and both shoes.  Amazing.  The girls said they were scattered all over the road and "weren't even on the side, mom!!!!  They were right in the middle!!!"  My shoes have a tire mark on them, my contact case broke across the middle, but is still useable, and my glasses?  Not a scratch.  They were in a soft case that doesn't close and now has a hole in it, but my (super-expensive-because-I'm-blind) glasses are perfect.  Such a blessing!
And now don't you feel better about the stuff you left on the roof of your car?

5 comments:

David & Brenda said...

Even though I already heard the story, it made me laugh all over again to read it. Thanks for brightening my day!

Carla and crew said...

Great story! once I drove 11 miles to my mother-in-law's house with my cordless phone on the back bumper of the van - and it made it all that way without falling off!

Kristie said...

That is crazy April! I hope the camp went well--it sounded like a blast!

Heather Macbeth said...

Once, I drove away from a gas station with that gas cap on top of my roof. When I proceeded to get into my car after I had filled up some guy started chasing and yelling at me (which just freaked me out and made me gun it even more), and then a mile down the road it rolled down the back of my car and I saw it rolling down the street. Uhhh... sorry nice guy who I thought was some total creep....

Glad your glasses were saved. That's pretty incredible. Almost as incredible as your whole family squishing into the Camaro. Now Tom has 0 excuses as to why he can't take all the girls out by himself....

Cheryl said...

How miraculous! I had my glasses on my lap one day when Jim drove me to work (I was putting on my makeup). About an hour into the school day I realized I wasn't wearing my glasses (I'm not as blind as you. I called Jim, but he couldn't find them in the house or the car. I had another teacher watch my class while I went outside to see if I had dropped tham. There they were right where Jim had dropped me off...broken to smitherings! Luckily I had just ordered a new pair of glasses and was just waiting to go pick them up. ;p) I guess the Lord knew I didn't need them protected.