CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Update on Sam...

This time it's great news! In the past couple of weeks Sam has had a sedation MRI and then an eye appointment with a pediatric opthamologist that specializes in the "mito kids" at Seattle Children's. The MRI went great. So much smoother than her first one. It was amazing. She didn't cry a single time and they were smart enough to knock her out first and then do her IV (her circulation is still poor, so it takes a LOT of sticks to get an IV in this girl). They also took it out before she woke up. As far as Sam knew, she'd just had a really great nap in awesome pajamas!
The eye appointment also went great. This doctor sees all of the kids with Mitochondrial Disease at Children's so he knows all about the labs and muscle biopsy results. He kept saying he couldn't believe that Sam was the same baby he was reading about in the labs and results. She looks so much better in person than he was expecting. He called her "robust"! First time that word's been applied to Sam! Her eyes are perfectly normal. Which is good news. In the past she's run into walls and not responded to visual stimuli, so it's good to know it's all a matter of energy.
We feel so blessed. I cannot go to Children's and leave without thanking my Heavenly Father for my own problems. So many people have it so much worse. I'm thankful for a husband that was willing to listen to the Spirit and stay in the Seattle area, when he really, really, REALLY wanted to move to Idaho. We are where we should be. We need to be here and the care Sam is getting is amazing. And I just can't get enough of this girl...

She's just one of the girls. And the twins are figuring out this whole energy deal. Whenever they want a treat and the answer is no, this is what I hear - "But you know mom, I'm feeling kind of low energy..." :)

10 comments:

Cheryl said...

What wonderful news! I'm glad that Sam is doing so well! The pictures are very cute! We live in such a marvellous time, when so much light and knowledge is available to us! You are very blessed!

Mary J said...

What joyous news! And I loved the previous post about their sleeping arrangements. It's so precious how close they are as sisters.

Darwin and Candace Johnson said...

That is great news! we are so happy for you! I know what you mean about being greatful for our own problems, no matter how bad they might seem! When ever we are at Doernbechers with Porter I feel the same way we are so blessed because it could be so much worse! Glad to hear the MRI was tear free, Porter has yet to have a tear free CT scan! oh well!

Karen said...

It sounds like yesterday would have been a good day to be with you at the hospital! Sorry I couldn't make it happen, but promise you'll let me try again? I'm so glad to hear your wonderful news.

Heather Macbeth said...

Ben and I are so excited that Sam's doing so well. It's awesome to get good news and makes all the pain worth it! We love y'all!

Unknown said...

Yeah Sam!

David & Brenda said...

:)

Linda Westover said...

Sam is so fortunate to have been sent to your family -- right time, right place, right faith. We're really looking forward to seeing you all at the reunion!

Bonnie and Ben Kacher said...

You really do inspire me to be a better mom and to savor every moment I have with Paije.

Bonnie and Ben Kacher said...

Yes! yes! I want to see you when you are in town. Can you give me more details. Where you'll be staying...what you'll be doing...whose comin' with ya!
571-337-1756.

P.S. I need you email address
bonniekacher@gmail.com