CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Sam Starts Therapy

In what was nothing short of a miracle, (I'll explain in a minute) Sam started therapy on Tuesday. She is going to the Good Samaritan Children's Therapy Unit, which is amazing. It is fairly new, totally current and has a wonderful reputation. It's said to be better than some of the pediatric hospital's therapy programs in the area. All great, but that means we were told there is a six month, to a year, waiting list. Sam was moved to the top of the list, but they told us to expect to wait a couple of months, then Sam would get in physical therapy (which would be better than nothing) and then in a few more months, an occupational therapy (what she really needs)spot would open up. In three weeks total, Sam is now in occupational therapy. Her first session was on Tuesday. It was an evaluation, so I'm still not really sure what OT is like for a six month old. I have to say I'm curious... After months of not seeing any changes in Sam's development, she has been making some progress the last couple of weeks. Which is so fun. It's like a party every time she does something new. However, she is still at a 2.5 delay (I'm not sure exactly what that means, we are still learning, but that's a large delay, we are told) She doesn't use her left arm and hand like she should and doesn't move her arms to the midline. She is working very, very hard just to hold herself up and not fall over, and just do do the normal things. She doesn't have good muscle tone or development. She also doesn't make eye contact if you are too close to her. She'll only do it across the room, and then she loves to smile at you. So what does all this mean? We don't know. These are just the symptoms of... something... She has an appointment on the 26th of this month with a pediatric neurologist and I'm hoping we might have an idea of what we're looking at after that. It's comforting to know that our Heavenly Father is watching over our daughter and opening doors for her.

In related news... Tom's start date for his new job in Idaho has been moved to July 19th (from April 12th) as we need to evaluate what is best for Sam and we just don't have enough information yet to make that kind of decision. Luckily, his boss wants him to stay here and we have the freedom to either make the transfer or deny it without repercussion. Another blessing from our Father in Heaven. We are aware of His love and compassion and caring on a daily basis. The doors of Heaven really do open for us. All we have to do is be looking and the blessings will be there. Even when it seems hard, we are surrounded by our Savior's love. Always.

11 comments:

Linda Westover said...

I am always awed at the Lord's love for even the least of us! He blesses us, not by removing the challenges, but by opening the doors to solutions and/or strength to cope.
Sam is truly blessed to have parents of faith. Stay strong. You are all loved.

steph said...

oh sam is just the cutest little thing ever!!

Darwin and Candace Johnson said...

Hey there, I'm glad to hear doors are opening, I experienced the same with POrter. He works with a speech therapist weekly and it is amazing! You will be amazed at the progress these precious little ones make! I didn't realize you guys were moving to Idaho! If you decide to stay there I'm not sure how far you are from OHSU, in Portland but their pediatric neurology team is amazing and widely recognized for what they do for our little ones. Call me if you need to chat or anything, although I experienced something different I can relate to going through something scarry and not knowing what to expect! Oh and OT is from what I have learned... is like they will work with her holding things and lifting, moving her legs, Mainly they will try to help form and build up her muscle tone and balance.

Gillian said...

As much as I'd love to see you guys move down here, you really couldn't be in a better place for Sam. Granted, I don't know anything about OC in Idaho Falls, but I took Gillian to speech therapy at the Good Sam Therapy place (the big boat!) and know first hand how great it is. Really a fantastic facility. Hopefully you'll have some answers soon as to what is going on.

WASHINGTON PUCKETTS: said...

I am so glad things worked out with the therapy. I am also glad that the move date was pushed back and you are possibly staying. Is that wrong to feel? Sam is so adorable!! I love the pigtails. She reminds me of the twins. Let me know if you need anything from us. I called you the other day to see if you and the girls wanted to come play. Tom answered the phone and I told him to to tell you to call me. I assume you didn't get that message. Anyway, we love you guys and I'm glad doors are opening for you.

The Gunder's from Down Under said...

She is absolutely beautiful! I hope and pray that things will continue to get better.

Brenda Sue said...

What a beautiful smile she has!! And those pigtails, how precious!

Mary J said...

Such a great spirit in that tiny body. Your heart must ache. Sam is a precious soul. Thank heavens for the miracles and being tuned in enough to recognize them!

Jessica Waters said...

That is wonderful that she was able to get into therapy so quickly. I am always amazed at how Heavenly Father works. I shouldn't be I see His hand in so many things. . . just keeps me thankful. Let me know if there is anything we can do. I know we are far away but you are in our prayers. Love ya!

Mrs Sobbi said...

I am so sorry to hear about these trials you and your beautiful little girl are facing. I am very happy to hear how you are being blessed though. You are in our prayers and my love goes out to you. It makes me happy that my husband is in the medical research field because I feel in a small way, he is helping families like you:) I like to feel connected to you in a small way (I know that sounds weird but I hope you know what I mean). Keep us all updated:)

Cheryl said...

April, I am so blessed to have you for a niece!!! Thank you for sharing this with us and for bearing your testimony of our Father's love for us. There are many blessings that we receive, and staying close to the Lord helps us recognize blessings, even in challenges! I love you!