CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 15, 2011

Update on Sam...

Sam hasn't been doing very well for the past couple of months. She exhausted. An hour of OT is too much for her and she just shuts down after about 40 minutes. Her endurance is much less than it used to be. She'll play with her sisters, but is really, very happy to just sit on the couch. Often she ends up like this...
About a month ago, she was sleeping 20 hours a day. It was crazy. She's back to her "normal" 16, but isn't sleeping well. She tosses and turns and wakes up several times a night. Which means we're both functioning at our very best. (I really think there should be a sarcasm font...) Sam really is the sweetest girl, but has been horribly unhappy lately. Not herself at all. And not two-year-old grumpy, but an "I'm feeling horrible" kind of grumpy. Sam got quite sick with Strep Throat a few times this winter and often looked like this...
The poor girl has giant black bags under her eyes and looks tired all the time. Now the good news is her vision is still fine, her left side is working as well as it ever does and her actual development hasn't gone backwards, even with all the sleeping.
We went to the doctor today and she has a horrible urinary tract infection. And it looks like she's had it for a while. Which is actually more good news. This is an actual reason WHY she's been having so much trouble. Which means that maybe her disease isn't progressing quickly and this might not be the new normal... Maybe her body just can't run itself and fight an underlying infection. I can deal with that. What was hard to deal with was Sam not being herself. The last couple of days she's been more herself and laughing again and being funny. I cried one night when I realized how much I'd missed my sweet daughter.
She's on antibiotics now, and we'll see how she responds and hopefully goes back to normal. Life is a strange challenge with this girl. I don't know what to expect with her, but I do know that she brings a light to our family that we would be lost without. I will keep you all posted on how she responds to the antibiotics. Thanks for caring about our "Sam-I-Am".

9 comments:

steph said...

And now I'm crying...
I love your little Sam even though I've never met her. I don't need to meet her to feel her sweetness. She is such a little doll. I'll be praying that she improves with the antibiotics and goes back to normal. you are one tough cookie April :)

PARSON POSTS said...

Thanks for posting. The first time I think a UTI is a GOOD thing. Hope she gets back to her normal! Love you all so much!!

Heather Macbeth said...

I'm so sorry. Sam is such a special little one. It's so rough that she has to go through fire. We're praying for y'all. And we'll fast for Sam on Sunday.

Cline said...

Thanks for sharing your little SAM with us.

Karen said...

I was thinking the same thing...what good news it is to find out she has an infection! Does she love foosball yet?? :)

Carla and crew said...

Your post made me cry, too! We will keep you guys in our prayers.

Gillian said...

So sorry to hear she's had such a rough time as of late. :( Wish I was there to help you, but I know you have amazing friends and a fabulous ward! Hopefully when the UTI goes away, she's have more energy. Sending love your way...

David & Brenda said...

Wow! If I didn't know better, I'd say that last entry was from me (your mom), but it isn't. I had to reread it twice just to make sure it wasn't from me! I, too, am so sorry Sam has to walk this path (as well as her dear family) but I have come to trust God and know that He will bless every one of you on this journey (especially because it is so hard). Sam is so blessed to have such a wonderful family...and we are all blessed that she came to your family!! How we love each of you!!

Cheryl said...

I have to echo those who have responded prior...It is so sad to see such a young, little girl have to go through so much, but gratefully there is hope that she will respond to the antibiotics and return to normal. sam is always in our prayers.
We love you and your little family!